Terms of Service
Acceptance of Terms
The Minneapolis Park Board ("Board") provides the Adopt-a-Tree program ("AAT") to you subject to the following Terms of Service Agreement ("Agreement") which may be updated by us from time to time without notice to you. By accessing and using AAT, you accept and agree to be bound by the terms and provision of this Agreement.
Description of Adopt-a-Tree
Adopt-a-Tree is an initiative of the Board to encourage residents to water boulevard trees. The AAT website allows users to "adopt" a tree, or state that you intend to help water that tree when it becomes dry.
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any new features that augment or enhance AAT are covered by this Agreement.
If you choose to adopt a tree using the AAT website, you are under no obligation and have no responsibility to actually water that tree or any tree.
Termination of Obligations
If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, offensive, not current, or incomplete, or the Board has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, offensive, not current, or incomplete, the Board has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the AAT services (or any portion thereof).
Accounts that consistently adopt trees without watering them out may also be terminated.
Additionally, you agree that the Board may, without prior notice, immediately terminate, limit your access to, or suspend your AAT service. Cause for such termination, limitation of access, or suspension shall include but not be limited to:
- breaches or violations of this Agreement or other incorporated agreements or guidelines,
- requests by law enforcement or other government agencies,
- discontinuance or material modification to AAT (or any part thereof),
- unexpected technical or security issues or problems,
- extended periods of inactivity,
- engagement by you in fraudulent or illegal activities.
Further, you agree that all terminations, limitations of access, and suspensions for cause shall be made in the Board's sole discretion and that the Board shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your account, any associated email address, or access to AAT.
Board Public Records Policy
Registration data, as well as data you submit using AAT, are subject to all applicable City, State and Federal public records laws.
You understand that all information entered by the user is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such Content originated. This means that you, and not the Board, are entirely responsible for all Content that you submit or otherwise make available via AAT. The Board does not control the sign-in content posted and, as such, does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content. You understand that by using AAT, you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent, or objectionable. Under no circumstances will the Board be liable in any way for any Content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any Content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Content submitted or otherwise made available via AAT.
We are under no obligation to enforce this Agreement on your behalf against another user. While we encourage you to let us know if you believe another user violated this Agreement, we reserve the right to investigate and take appropriate action at the Board's sole discretion.
You agree to not use AAT to:
- submit Content that is false or inaccurate;
- submit Content that does not generally pertain to the designated topic or theme;
- submit or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable;
- harm minors in any way;
- impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- submit or otherwise make available any Content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- submit or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party;
- submit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of communication not relevant to specific Board service requests;
- submit or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law;
- "stalk" or otherwise harass another; or
- collect or store personal data about other users in connection with the prohibited conduct and activities set forth in paragraphs (a) through (k) above.
You acknowledge that the Board may or may not pre-screen Content that is shared, but that the Board and its designees shall have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse, or remove any Content that is available via AAT. Without limiting the foregoing, the Board and its designees shall have the right to remove any Content that violates this Agreement or is otherwise objectionable. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any Content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such Content.
You acknowledge, consent and agree that the Board may access, preserve and disclose your account information and Content if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to:
- comply with legal process;
- enforce this Agreement;
- respond to claims that any Content violates the rights of third parties;
- respond to your requests for customer service;
- protect the rights, property or personal safety of the Board, its users and the public.
You may not attempt to override or circumvent any of the usage rules embedded into AAT.
You may not trace any information of any other AAT user or visitor or otherwise use AAT for the purpose of obtaining information of any other AAT user.
You may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to AAT or the computer systems and networks connected to AAT through hacking, password mining, or any other means.
You may not release the results of any performance or functional evaluation of AAT to any third party without prior written approval of the Board for each such release.
You may not take any action that imposes, or may impose, in the Board's sole discretion, an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the Board's technology infrastructure or otherwise make excessive traffic demands of AAT.
Interstate Nature of Communications on Adopt-a-Tree
When you use the application, you acknowledge that in using AAT, you will be causing communications to be sent potentially through a variety of networks (Internet service provider, wireless phone network, etc.) As a result, even communications that seem to be intrastate in nature can result in the transmission of interstate communications regardless of where you are physically located at the time of transmission. Accordingly, you agree that use of the AAT may result in interstate data transmissions.
Submissions to the Board
By submitting feedback ("Submissions") to the Board through the AAT feedback function, you acknowledge and agree that:
- your Submissions do not contain confidential or proprietary information;
- the Board is not under any obligation of confidentiality, express or implied, with respect to the Submissions;
- the Board shall be entitled to use or disclose (or choose not to use or disclose) such Submissions for any purpose, in any way, in any media worldwide;
- the Board may have something similar to the Submissions already under consideration or in development;
- your Submissions automatically become the property of the Board without any obligation of the Board to you;
- you are not entitled to any compensation or reimbursement of any kind from the Board under any circumstances.
You agree to indemnify and hold the Board and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, employees, partners, and licensors harmless from any claim or demand (including reasonable attorneys' fees) made by any third party due to or arising out of:
- Content you submit or otherwise make available through AAT,
- your use of AAT,
- your connection to AAT,
- your violation of this Agreement,
- your violation of any Rights of another.
Modifications to Adopt-a-Tree
The Board reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, AAT (or any part thereof) with or without notice. You agree that the Board shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the AAT (or any part thereof).
The Board may provide links to other World Wide Web sites or resources. You acknowledge and agree that the Board is not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources.
AAT may facilitate your use of third party services not provided by the Board ("Third Party Services"). The Board makes no representations or warranties regarding the performance of such Third Party Services, their compliance with applicable laws and regulations, or any other aspects of such Third Party Services. Your use of Third Party Services is at your own risk and you are solely responsible for complying with all legal and contractual requirements necessary for using Third Party Services.
The Board's Proprietary Rights
You acknowledge and agree that AAT contains proprietary and confidential information that is owned by the Board and protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws. You will not use such proprietary information in any way whatsoever except for use of AAT in compliance with the provisions of this Agreement.
Disclaimer of Warranties
You expressly understand and agree that:
- Your use of AAT is at your sole risk. The application is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. The city expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to the implied warranties of title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement.
The city and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, employees, agents, partners, and licensors make no warrany that:
- AAT will meet your requirements;
- AAT will be uninterrupted, timely, secore, or error-free;
- the results that may be obtained from the use of AAT will be accurate or reliable;
- any errors in the software will be corrected;
- AAT will be free from corruption, viruses, hacking, or other security intrusion.
Limitation of Liability
You expressly understand and agree that the city shall not be liable to you for any punitive, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or exemplary damages, including, but not limtied to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data, or other intangible losses resulting from:
- Your access to or use of or inability to access or use the services;
- any conduct or content or any third party on the services, including without limitation, any defamatory, offensive or illegal conduct of other users or third parties;
- any content obtained from the services;
- unauthorized access, use or alteration of your transmissions or content, whether based on warranty, contract, tort (including negligence) or any other legal theory, whether or not the city has been informed of the possibility of such damage, and even if a remedy set forth herein is found to have failed of its essential purpose.
You expressly agree that the city is not responsible for any contact or interaction between you and any other user of AAT and that you bear the sole risk of transmitting through the application any content, including information which identifies you or your location.
You agree that the negation of damages set forth above is a fundamental element of the basis of the bargain between the city and you and that the foregoing limitation of liability is an agreed upon allocation of risk between you and the city. You acknowledge that absent your agreement to this limitation of liability the city would not provide AAT to you.
The Board may provide you with notices regarding AAT, including changes to this Agreement, by email, SMS, text message, postings on AAT, or any other reasonable means now known or hereafter developed. Notices shall be effective immediately.
Such notices may not be received if you violate this Agreement by accessing the AAT in an unauthorized manner. You agree that you will be deemed to have received any and all notices that would have been delivered had you accessed AAT in an authorized manner.
You represent that you are 13 years of age or older and, if you are under the age of 18, you either are an emancipated minor, or have obtained the legal consent of your parent or legal guardian to accept and agree to be bound by the terms and provisions of this Agreement.
If you have agreed to allow your minor child, or a child for whom you are legal guardian ("Minor"), to use AAT, you agree that you shall be solely responsible for:
- the online conduct of such Minor,
- monitoring such Minor’s access to and use of AAT, and
- the consequences of any use of AAT by such Minor.
Governing Law and Venue
This Agreement is governed by the laws of the State of Minnesota without regard to any conflict of law provisions. You agree that any claim or dispute with the Board relating in any way to your use of AAT shall be brought exclusively before a state or federal court sitting in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and you irrevocably waive any jurisdictional, venue, or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and the Board with respect to your use of AAT, superseding any prior version of this Agreement between you and the Board with respect to AAT.
If any provision of this Agreement shall be unlawful, void, or unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severed from this Agreement and shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions of this Agreement.
The Board's failure to assert any right or provision under this Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
You agree that any cause of action arising out of or related to your use of AAT must commence within one year after the cause of action accrues. Otherwise, such cause of action is permanently barred.
The section titles in this Agreement are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect.
Last updated May 20, 2014.